08 May 2011

A salute to the parents

It's Mother's Day today. But it's also May 8, which is 어버이 날 (Parents' Day) in Korea.



It's customary for children to give carnations to their parents on 어버이 날, and I remember making paper carnations at school like these kids, for my parents and grandparents.

I haven't done that since we moved to the States sixteen years ago, though, and I haven't seen either of my parents in May since I graduated from high school seven years ago. I suppose it's an inevitable part of growing up, but it feels odd to realize it.

My mom still treats me like a kid for the most part when I'm home, but she did have a mild freak-out moment during my spring break when she realized that she got married at my age... and had me a year later. In other words, she is now old enough to be a grandmother!

Don't worry, Mom, you look much younger than your age. And I'm certainly not planning on getting married or having kids anytime soon, even if quite a few of my friends have jumped on that bandwagon recently.

So! A happy Mother's/Parents' Day to all you mothers/parents out there! You all are amazing people.

엄마, 아빠, 고맙습니다! 사랑해요~~! ^^




Avocado-Lemon-Coconut Cake
Adapted, appropriately enough, from Korean American Mommy.

This recipe uses avocados instead of butter. Thus it is imperative that you mash the avocados thoroughly, lest you end up with chunks of avocados in your cake.



Cake.
2 ripe avocados, peeled and mashed
2 1/2 c. sugar
5 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 c. sour cream
3 c. flour
1 tsp. baking power
zest of 1 lemon (minus 1 tsp. for glaze)
1 c. sweetened coconut flakes

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Thoroughly grease and flour a bundt pan.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Set aside.

In a separate large bowl, cream together the avocado and sugar, then beat in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the vanilla, lemon juice, sour cream, lemon zest, and coconut flakes.

Gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until just incorporated. Pour batter into prepared bundt pan and bake until done, approx. 1 hr. Cool before inverting onto a plate.

Glaze.
1 c. powdered sugar
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. lemon zest

Whisk together the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest to form a thick glaze. Drizzle over warm cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment