15 April 2011

Don't you? 'Course you do!

Spring! It's the loveliest time of the year, if only for the longer daylight hours.



And spring means spending Sunday afternoons poisoning pigeons in the park with my sweetheart.

Wait, what sweetheart?

Disclaimer: I harbor no particular love for pigeons, but I don't actually condone killing them.



Okay, so that wasn't about pigeons, but swallows are cool birds because they carry things. I had just wanted to share some media that greatly influenced my college years, and fowl just happened to star(?) in both. And you know keeping a blog is all about sharing information nobody cares to have.

In that spirit, here's another song we used to sing a lot in college, about a duck.

Er, I mean, a llama.

And a duck.



Right. So, guys, it's spring! The birds are tweeting outside my window at 4am, the squirrels are frolicking, the flowers are blooming, the pollen is flying...



My condolences to those of you who suffer from allergies, by the way. My allergist informed me last year that I have been suffering from hay fever all my life. Ohhhkay, but do pardon me if I blithely ignore what he said, because as far as I can tell, I am not suffering from hay fever, nor did I before.

I did almost fall out of my chair laughing when he told me that I was also allergic to animal dander, though, because at the time I was a mouse wench spending most of my waking hours in the animal facility. It's possible (probable?) that I developed an allergy from working there for two years, but what can you do?

Well, that's neither here nor there, and my supposed allergies aside, it really is spring, and all this daylight is making me very, very happy.



A while ago there was a post on Sweetapolita about a delightful cake that was the very embodiment of sunshine and spring. I haven't had the time or patience to attempt the layer cake yet, but it's in the queue.

I settled for a lemon-blueberry bundt cake in the meantime, and it's quite tasty, despite the sub-par photos. My trusty dusty Pentax has its limits.




Lemon-Blueberry Bundt Cake
Modified from Kitchen Runway.

This cake tastes best after the first day, probably because the glaze will have had a chance to soak completely in. The glaze makes it very moist and lemony. :)



Cake.
2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
a pinch of salt
3 eggs
2 c. sugar
3/4 c. vegetable oil
1 tsp. lemon extract
zest of 1 lemon
12 oz. frozen blueberries, slightly thawed

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour a bundt pan.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.

In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, then mix in the sugar, oil, lemon extract, and lemon zest. Gradually fold in the flour mixture, mixing until just combined. Add blueberries and stir gently to incorporate.

Bake until done, approx. 90 min. Allow to cool in pan.

Glaze.
1 c. powdered sugar
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 c. milk

Whisk together the ingredients, then while the cake is still in the pan, pour approx. 1/3 of the glaze over warm cake. Allow glaze to soak in. When cake is cool, remove onto a plate. Pour the rest of glaze over the cake and allow to soak in.

No comments:

Post a Comment