26 October 2010

Mega-doofy. Times infinity!

Do you remember Arthur? It is actually still airing, and you can even watch old episodes on YouTube!

This was an amazing discovery for me, since most of the other PBS shows I used to watch (and love!) and learn English from have long since been retired.

My favorite, Wishbone, was culled ages ago, though I think some stations may still be airing reruns. (Which would be awesome if that were true.) I do believe Joe has the dubious honor of being my first-ever celebrity(?) crush. At the tender age of, what, nine? But you know what, not trying to pick fights or anything, but Joe was loads better than Troy or Edward. Just sayin'.

ANYWAY. I digress. A lot. (Why didn't you stop me?)



Professor Pacelli of the Williams Math/Stats Department, also known as Allie of Zucchero Dolce, is hosting Sugar High Friday for October. This month's theme: layer cakes.

Yes, the deadline is today, what of it. I had exams to study for, okay?

Note that this is my first attempt at a layer cake -- the mouse cake doesn't really count -- so, uh, please keep the mockery to a minimum?

Okay?

Promise?

Well, but you are allowed to laugh.

Because, how could you not?

I couldn't possibly begrudge you that.

It would be too mean.



Yeahhh.

Really, go on. Laugh. It's good for you.

I didn't realize just how much the cake was tilting until I started to frost it. Of course, I could have just leveled it with frosting, but my conscience wouldn't allow it.

Besides, I am still laughing.


Deep Dark Chocolate Cake
Adapted from Inn Cuisine.

I realized as soon as I cut into the cake that I didn't put enough frosting between the layers. Like I said before, this is my first attempt at a layer cake, so please be lenient with me.



Cake.
2 c. sugar
1 3/4 c. flour
3/4 c. unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
a pinch of salt
2 eggs
1 c. milk
1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. boiling water

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour two 9" round cake pans.

In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat in the eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla. Stir in the boiling water, and pour the batter into the prepared pan(s).

Bake until springy to the touch, 35-40 min. Allow to cool completely before icing.

Frosting.
12 Tbsp. unsalted butter, room temperature
5 1/3 c. powdered sugar
2/3 c. unsweetened cocoa
1 c. heavy whipping cream
2 tsp. vanilla

In a large bowl, whip ingredients together with a fork (or, if you are so fortunate as to have access to an electric mixer, use that). I ended up needing to add a touch more heavy cream to make my frosting, well, creamier.

I think I would cut down on the sugar next time. This frosting may actually be sweet enough to give me nightmares, which is saying something.

Frost the cake, then garnish if you so desire.

4 comments:

  1. You crack me up! I'm dying here laughing and my husbands looking at me like "what?" You know what though, I bet it was tasty. And look, at least you got a couple of good shost. I love how your wrote this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed it! :) The cake is delicious, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taste is more important... I bet it was great!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, taste is definitely more important than a tilt. Besides, there's a million towers in Italy, and the only memorable one is the LEANING tower of Pisa. There you go. :P

    ReplyDelete