09 October 2010

Anthems that winds and fountains sing

Happy Mountain Day yesterday to all you wonderful Williams folks -- and I know there are a lot of you out there!

It was an absolutely gorgeous day here in DC, too, but alas, Georgetown doesn't have Mountain Day. How lame. That's what I get for going to a school in a city. Well, the beautiful weather is supposed to hold for the whole three-day weekend, so hopefully I'll be able to get in a good long run or two.

So, the second med course is over! It still remains to be seen just how much it kicked my butt, but at least I'm done with it. We started a couple of the grad courses this week -- the "lite" versions of immunology/microbiology and gross anatomy -- which are supposed to be a bit less intense than the med courses have been so far. Impeccable timing, since my eye has been hurting lately, which means I haven't been getting enough sleep.

Of course the obvious remedy for chronic dry eyes is staying up late to scrub down the kitchen and bake scones. - -;;




Chocolate Chip Scones
Adapted from Caffeina.

I had some ricotta cheese to use up, so I dug up this recipe from a sub-sub-sub-folder of bookmarks. Just so I could have some for breakfast. They're worth it though. Yum!



1 3/4 c. flour
4 Tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
a pinch of salt
3/4 c. ricotta cheese
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1/2 c. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2/3 c. chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Lightly cut in the ricotta and butter, then stir in the milk, vanilla, and chocolate chips.

Turn the dough out onto generously floured surface and lightly knead. Add handfuls of flour as needed. Dough should be fairly sticky but holding together.

Break off a chunk of dough and roll into a ball between hands. Pat the ball into a disk approximately 1 in. thick onto prepared baking sheet. Repeat with rest of dough.

Bake until lightly browned, 15-17 min. Cool on a cooling rack.

3 comments:

  1. ah so these are the cookies eh.. unfortunately i don't know anything about baking. i have a tub of cookie dough in my fridge, and i eat it raw.. i don't think i'll ever bake it

    ReplyDelete
  2. um, these look PHENOM! Were they phenom??! I'd totally go out and buy the ingredients to make some right now except I don't live in a place where supermarkets are open 24/7 anymore. And I'm trying to lose weight. Hah. I'm so jealous of all your yummy baked goods though.... (as I sit here munching on a chocolate chocolate chip brownie with a big glass of milk...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were tasty! Especially great for breakfast with a huge glass of milk. I might make these again when I have more time in the morning, so I can eat them warm. :) Your brownies sound good, too!

    ReplyDelete